Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Trials!

Firstly, Happy Canada Day! For any Americans reading this blog, July 1st in Canada is similar to July 4th in the USA.

Yep, I finally did it. After a couple years of harassment from Dave at GasGas Pacific, I finally bought a trials bike! Unfortunately, due to budget constraints I had to go a little older than I hoped, but it should still be fun and great training. Insert plug for more sponsors here. Just kidding. Sort of. Maybe not. Anyways....the bike is a 1999 GasGas (what else?) TXT270. It's in pretty good shape for its age, and I don't feel too guilty when (not if) I drop it.

I've only had the bike a little over a week and haven't had much time to ride it (riding, racing, work and life have been getting in the way) but so far it's been a lot of fun. And a good reality check. My skills are severely lacking in a lot (most) of cases, but hopefully this trials bike will help me improve those technical skills and make me faster!

Speaking of getting faster, man is it weird to just practice going slow! Last night I went out for a ride on Grass Hopper (that's what my girlfriend named the trials bike) and it was really tough for me to slow down instead of just pinning it. I went out and rode a local trail called whiskey on the rocks. It's a technical trail going up the mountain that has, you guessed it, rocks! It's an expert only trail with some extremely tough rock faces. I figured riding the trials bike I should be able to clean everything that I have issues with on my enduro bike. When I hit the first technical section I learned important point #1 about trials bikes: there is no seat. When you lose your balance and need to dab or get low, your legs still need to hold you up! After a few entertaining moments I started to get the hang of it. Then it got really technical. This is where things got ugly as the trail became littered with near vertical (and sometimes more than vertical) rock faces, some directly out of corners. My enduro instincts told me to hit them with speed, then sit down near the top, both feet out and push over the top. Doesn't quite work on the trials bike. Important point #2 was learned then as speed is not always your friend. Trials bikes are geared super low for a reason. After lots of dabs and get offs I finally cleaned a couple rock faces with the bike revved up and wheelying over the top. What a rush!

That's about it for now. I've been riding and racing quite a bit lately and most of all, spending way too many hours on the road. Since I bought my truck (91 Toyota pickup) in late February, I've put over 13000km on it! And that doesn't include a couple trips carpooling with friends! The past two weekends were the Piston Run (PN race in Chilliwack BC) and the Rock Pile Enduro (AMA National in Cascade, Montana). This weekend is the first two rounds of the Canadian Enduro Championship in Blairmore, AB, then it's off to the Apex Ski Hill near Penticton, BC the following weekend for Rounds 3 & 4. After that I think I'll be taking some time off to save money, ride the trials bike and spend more time with my family and friends. I might even try a trials event!

Here's a photo of my freshly prepped bike down in Montana. I just got new plastics and graphics (thanks to GasGas Pacific, Main Jet Motorsports and Lime Nine MX) though I won't have the bike fully prepped and looking good until Thursday night.


Look for upcoming race reports from the Piston Run (ugh), Rock Pile Enduro (good) and the western CEC races (hopefully good!). Thanks again to: GasGas Pacific, Main Jet Motorsports, Motovan, Fasst Company, Dirt Tricks Ironman sprockets and Lime Nine MX (www.limenine.com).

See ya at the races,

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment